Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Deoch Mass 12-13-2023 - The Greater Whole

 

I have been a devout Deoch priest for nearly my entire Aisling life. I have studied at the foot of the greatest of Deoch’s preachers: Carnaugh, Kamina, Morrigan, and others. And it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that the place I have spent most of my time here in Temuair has been Deoch’s temple. 

Back in the early years, temple communities were quite competitive. It wasn’t unexpected to get thrown out of an enemy's mass if the priest was particularly devout. Because of Deoch’s unique role in the creation of we Aislings, this temple has always been welcome to those of all faiths. But even so, I too had a tinge of zealousness in my youth, preaching against the beliefs of others in support of my own.   

As time went on, however, I found myself more introspective. Old age has not only brought a refinement in my appreciation of Deoch’s gifts but those of the other gods as well. As much as I have drawn upon Deoch for strength these many cycles, I now equally look to the other gods for support. 

Whether it be an understanding of the cycle of all living things, the capacity to draw wisdom from the knowledge I have collected, or a reinforced appreciation for my hearth and home…  for these things and many more, I give thanks to the other Temuairian gods.  And I find myself discovering new reasons to give praise to Deoch’s peers often. 

Perhaps this growth is rooted in the simple fact that no core belief can stand on its own. We are all pieces of a greater whole. The strands of the Octagram can only be as strong if all eight points stand sturdy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment