Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Deoch Mass 8-14-2019



It is an honor to stand here, giving praise to Deoch once again.

I am just returning from some traveling so as I get settled back, these next two sermons will be a little different; musings on Deoch’s allies: Glioca and Sgrios. Not that you needed a reminder, but I am a Deoch priest. I do not speak for the clergy of any other temple; so what I may say here over the next double-moon does not necessarily reflect the beliefs of those fellowships.


As we are told, Glioca is the daughter of Danaan. To put the legends simply, Glioca is an essence that sprang from Danaan and formed into its own. We know that she is gentle, she does not know hate, and her love is eternal and never yielding.

Of all the deities Aislings choose to follow, those that devote themselves to Glioca have the most expectations laid upon them. Being the followers of the goddess of compassion, others look to them to show this kindness… often times en masse.

As a follower of Deoch, my brothers and sisters of Glioca are the ones I look toward for inspiration to keep improving myself. For when I look at them, I see their ongoing attempts to better reflect the light of Glioca’s moon. They put so much effort into being compassionate, responding to hate with kindness, and attempting to be unfailingly patient and kind to everyone they meet. It can be a humbling experience for me.

Inevitably, I also see their disappointment when they do not always live up to Glioca’s example or when their efforts are met with hostility from others.

It is our nature that sometimes we expect too much of ourselves. We can forget that the gods are deities for a reason, they are capable of states that we ourselves can only dream of. Falling short is not a failing to Glioca, she does not ask for or expect perfection. Glioca loves every effort expended and finds success even in what we consider failures.

Maybe with this in mind, Gliocians ability to recover with ease is what inspires me most of all. To them, showing love and kindness is its own reward and because of it they are rarely without a reason to get back up after being knocked down.

There is no more difficult a deity to aspire to than Glioca; I pray that we all continue to try regardless of that fact. Those of us here in the Deoch fellowship value our Gliocan allies, our stalwart companions on the path of Light.






No comments:

Post a Comment